About the LGV C Licence
LGV C is a rigid vehicle that exceeds 7.5tonne in gross weight. There is no weight restriction on this category – providing the vehicle is rigid based (i.e. the cab does not detach from the trailer) it can be driven on a Category C licence.
You are able to sit your LGV C test at the age of 18, providing that you already hold a category B (car) driving licence. You do not need to have held your licence for a certain period of time.
At Heads of the Valleys Training, we use fully automatic LGV’s for training purposes. By passing in a vehicle with an automatic transmission, you will still be issued a full manual LGV C entitlement. Our vehicles have been carefully sourced and selected, to ensure your driver training is as straight forward as possible.
We have our own private DVSA test centre on site, meaning that you will start and finish your test from the same place you have been training. The test routes are therefore around the local area, which you will be completely familiar with by the end of your course.
There are three steps that you will need to complete to achieve your LGV licence. You can read about these in more detail below.
- LGV Medical
- LGV Theory Training & Tests
- Practical Driver Training & Test
*Please note, if you wish to drive professionally, you will need to hold your Driver CPC.
We are a ‘one-stop-shop’ and can therefore arrange all elements of training on your behalf. Take advantage of our Starter Pack which contains everything you need before you begin your practical training: medical, theory tests AND online theory support. Alternatively, you may wish to complete your own medical and theory tests and join us for the practical training course.
Before you can begin practical driver training, you will need to have completed a medical (to attain your provisional C licence) and passed your LGV theory tests. By opting for our starter pack, you will receive the following arranged on your behalf:
- LGV Medical – booked with our local surgery in Abergavenny, appointments are typically completed on a weekday afternoon. We will supply and complete the necessary D2 and D4 forms on your behalf beforehand.
- LGV Theory Tests – booked at a local theory test centre to suit you. You will need to sit two theory tests before you can begin driver training; Multiple Choice and Hazard Perception.
- Online Theory Support – Access to the entire question bank in preparation for your theory tests. Log in via your mobile phone, tablet or PC wherever you are and begin to prepare for your tests. All of the knowledge and information required for both tests can be accessed and practiced via our online portal. The dynamic system will keep track of your progress and identify topic areas that require additional attention. There is no need to buy any additional discs or books which would cost you a small fortune. We also offer free drop-in theory support at our centre in Gilwern, and encourage all candidates to book a ‘mock session’ prior to taking their tests.
Once you have passed these tests, you have two years to take your practical driving test before they expire. If you have already sat these tests and want to make sure they are still in date, click here.
*We are able to offer a discounted Starter Pack to those who have already completed their LGV Medical.
Practical Driver Training & Test
Once you have passed your theory tests, you’re reading to begin driver training. You’ll need to let us know so that we can arrange a suitable date for your course.
The practical test will last around 60 minutes and is made up of three parts – a few brief safety questions, a reverse manoeuvre and a practical driving assessment.
At Heads of the Valleys Training we have our own private DVSA test facility on site, meaning that your practical test would start and finish from our centre. This provides a huge advantage as you will be taking your test within the local area where you will have been training throughout the duration of your course. It also means that you can practice the reverse exercise at our centre each day that you are training – the same place you will be completing it on your test.
Once you have passed your test, you will be issued with your new licence. You will automatically be issued with a provisional entitlement for LGV CE (Class 1), should you want to progress onto it. To read more about the LGV CE course we offer, click here.
Above: Heads of the Valleys Test Centre, Gilwern.
If you intend on using your licence to drive professionally (to be paid as a driver/for hire or reward), it is mandatory that you hold a valid Driver CPC card.
Please click the logo below for more information.